Pages

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Goat Attack Mountain Lion Shot Dead In South Bay






Saturday a mountain lion jumped over Nicky Austin's fence and killed four of her goats. But it didn't end there. Monday night it killed another one.

"I felt helpless and it was a horrible thing to listen to," said Austin. "I don't wish that upon anybody. And that will stay with me forever."

Watch News Video

Goats often times fall prey to Predatory animals and keeping them in an enclosed night time yard close to your house with lights shining onto the yard is helpful.
Personally I would not have waited for a "permit". Years ago, after a lesser attack on one of my goats, I was told by the game dept I could not kill the lion unless it was in the process of attack. The next night after the attack - the young lion returned.. Let's just say I didn't wait..
to have more of my goats injured.
This is a young buck that the immature Mt Lion attempted to pull through the fence by way of his face- 65 stitches. This is the "lesser " attack I mentioned.. This photo is of my goat- I cannot fathom what the Austin family went through listening to their goats being killed. But I'm glad they shot and killed the lion who destroyed their goats.