Sunday, February 19, 2006

Back on Track

Sorry, I have been wayyy busy.
Speaking of busy, this seems to be right in the middle of Kidding season for many goat owners and through my yahoogroups, both AngelGoats and Med-A-Goat911 and by personal emails- I have seen many kidding problems this year. Kidding problems seem to go in waves nationwide, I don't know why, but they do. This year it is moms with little to no milk and kids born dead or who die directly after birth.

Nutrition would be the basis of most mothers without milk issues.
I have a very useful chart for goat nutrition:
Feed Chart for Goats

Birth Chill is Real and can be addresses easily:

The most common cause of death for infant goats, especially winter time babies, is Birth Chill!
Please read this useful article
This is a step by step guide of how you can deal with Birth Chill

I know here it has been Fridgid! Last night it was below 4 degrees.. soon to have a bit of a warm up (Wednesday) so getting the old guys through this cold snap is essential to me and for those older goats who are stressing over the cold, I follow these steps for them as well.

Till Next time..
goatlady